After I have started this blog there were a few inquiries from people asking to share resources that would help novices to better understand the CAD/CAM/CAE (CAx) world. I shared what I had (well, some links got broken over time), and thought this could be of a broader interest, virtually for anyone in the development community.
Can we all together try this out and build some useful list ? Let's think how to make and to maintain it manageable. For instance, is there any ready-to-use rating mechanism that visitors could use to rate the usefulness of every resource ? Please advise if you know such.
Anyway, let's start with something simple and see how it goes.
As a first step, I suggest a simple one-level classification. Let's first focus on CAx.
- Theory (books, papers, articles, courses on mathematical apparatus and models)
- Software (geometric kernels, libraries, components, etc)
- Developers communities (forums, blogs, wiki's etc dedicated to CAx development)
- Informational resources (portals, newsletters, etc)
- Models (2D or 3D models in neutral or proprietary formats that can be freely used)
Provide your links using comments to this post. Include category, brief description and advantages of the resource (up to 50 words). The goal is not to have it exhausted but to contain most useful links. So, if there are resources that outshine others, we will not hesitate to remove some.
If you have any ideas how to make this most useful, please speak up.
So, let's try...